"The Spectator" Crossword No. 198
prize of one guinea will be given to the sender of the first corrce solution' of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes cc n'aining solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery.] ACROSS 1. Regarding treaties as these careless obligations will result in these !
8. Designed to soften the most hard-hearted musician.
10. This It rd of ear is not got in the garden but the ring !
14. " 'Tis the last rose of summer, . . . blooming alone."
15. It is convenient that this is always more than a hooked nose !
16. This matter " illustrates " an illustration.
19. The insinuating part of a blade ?
20. Raise anger in.
21. Attractive vowels ?
22. Member of the order in- cluding lizards.
23. This person is always a well-bred man.
24. I can name ten (anag.).
26. Poetic vehicle.
27. " A . . . wife makes a . . . husband."
29. rev. " A word spoken in ... season, how good it is !"
31. This animal causes worry !
32. Set of steps never climbed in stockings !
DOWN 1. This street won't get you anywhere.
2. Scene of bloodshed. 3. A reliable train-official is this.
4. This attire takes its name from its colour.
5. Tribal ore (anag.).
6. My first is unchecked in 24, my second in 9.
7. Get amiable over a troubled need.
8. " Charlotte, having seen his body,
Borne before her on a shutter, Like a well-conducted . . . Went on cutting bread and butter."
9. May it benefit you.
11. Putting into circulation.
13. Country where they drink with the tongue ?
17. Sharp pain.
18. To get the rag with the red around it turned over needs care.
28. What comes out of a hole ? 30. It's found Underground.