" THE SPECTATOR " CROSSWORD No. 281 BY ZENO
[A prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes con- taining solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.]
ACROSS I. rev. See 3r.
3. You're likely to get stuck up by what you do with a kite.
8. See 25.
to. One nun has an appointment to see flood.
13. This 54 yards makes a lot.
14. The diner hopes what comes on it isn't truck !
16. " Loved and still loves-not dead, but . . . before."
17. It's a good thing for Eve, Adam was this !
19. American State.
20. rev. Fruit.
21. This kind of nerve is vision- ary ! .
23. He married Amelia Sedley.
24. rev. See 4.
25. with 3o. Employ for wages.
26. and 8 across. Act obsequiously.
28. rev. It requires pull to work this snare.
29. Tried scene (anag.).
32. rev. Everyone will be able to see through this.
33. Sounds like a beloved spot- and is for the ruminant. DOWN I. Handy coverings for the child only ? 2. This kind of paper is likely to make you weep.
3. Humorous part of the ana- tomy. 4. with 24. Paint picture out of date.
6. No one would ask for more than a helping of the liquid course if it meant this
7. "The vulgar boil, the learned roast an . . . "
8. " Every subject's soul is his . . .
9. Sagacious talk that's a mere quip in America. t. Share in a legal document.
12. Coin now only as maundy money.
13. Animal never without fur. 15. This antico is black marble. 18. rev. Young child of note. 22. rev. Slightly wet discourage-
27. Unchecked letter in 17 gem- inated.
3o. rev. See 25.
31. with 1 across. Blow on the foot.