from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.] week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should .be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes containing solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions 1.A prize of one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this
ACROSS L In masculine manners of speaking there are al- ways curses.
8. Even though what a man leaves be thine, there is still an unfading lack. it Tree's boughs.
15. His centre of interest is in Westminster.
16. An instrument that is full of evil.
17. Generally found in 14.
18. What each soldier of Mal- colm attacking Dunsi- nane might have said he
20. rev. These fellows are fiery particles !
22. Hang out the tongue.
23. rev. " Now for the . . . of our host- Now for the rollick- ing bun-" 25. Work made of braid shaped into design with stitches.
26. If you come under the in- finance of this agent you are sure to lose your senses.
31. rev. Goes at full speed.
32. A furrier wouldn't be a better man if he were to swindle less I 33. rev. Would make a flat-fish grave.
DOWN 1. A jam that is made about a false alarm.
2. A light devoid of light 1 3. rev. Pet notion.
4. Joints connecting foot with leg are mostly ungrateful. 5. rev. Public music room.
6. This saint is found in Cornwall.
7. Most rands (anag ).
9. Milton makes him say : " preferring Hard liberty before the easy yoke Of servile pomp."
10. " You shall see a beautiful quarto page, where a neat . of text shall meander through a meadow of margin."
11. A broken backbone.
12. rev. Adherents of a school of thought.
13. Tries tea (anag.).
19. Indian antelope.
21. The nut of a species of hickory.
24. Put you in the past.
27. You can make a peg in a gunwale with a hoe and this.
28. " As soon Seek roses in December,- . . . in June."
30. rev. To waste away with grief after this will make it indolent.