General Knowledge Competition
THE prize of one guinea which the Editor offers weekly for the best thirteen General Knowledge Questions (with answers) is awarded to Miss Vaughan for the following :-
A Dickens Paper I. Which was Charles Dickens's favourite book ?
2. Who said the following, and from what books do they come ?
(a) " It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done ;. it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." ; (6) " Are infants to be nutereekered into their tombs, and is nobody to save them ? " ; (c) " Take example by your father, my boy, and be wery careful o'. widders all your life— " ; (d)." Recalled to life ! " • (e) When found, make a note of."
3. Who " proceeded to go into hysterics of four young-lady power " ? 4. What-did Sam Weller mean by saying that he had " unfur- nished lodgings for a fortnight " ?
6. Who told the story, in Pickwick Papers, of the boy who swallowed a necklace ?
6. Where is Charles Dickens buried ?
7. Who—(a) " Was always waiting for something to turn up " ?
(b) Signed himself " Afternoon " to intimate friends ? (c) Was a " lone, lorn ereetur " ? (d) Was very 'umble ? (e) Had a beautiful deportment ? (f) Called himself " A devil, a kettle, a Grip, a Polly, a Protestant " ?
8. " The young ladies sipped and crumbled, and the bespoken coaches began to choke the street." When was this occasion and who were the young ladies ?
9. Who was overinterested in the natives of Borrioboola-Gha, on the left bank of the Niger " ? 10. Who had a " Growlery " to seek refuge in when the wind became Easterly ? 11. Who " goes on errands fast asleep, and snores as he waits a4 table " ? _ 12. Who had " two mile o' danger at eightpence " ? 13. From'what books are the following characters : Dame Durden, Louisa Gradgrind, Tiny Tim, Dolly Vitrden; Rosa Budd, Mr. Boffin, Miggs, Madame Defargo, The Artful Dodger •
Answers will be found on page 262. - -