17 JULY 1858, Page 6


It was proposed to raise a church-rate in St. Michael's parish, Oxford, and a meeting of the vestry was held for that purpose. The Opposition moved the adjournment of the meeting that the churchwardens might produce their accounts. An amendment proposing to consider the question of making a rate at once was offered. There were 35 for and 35 against the amendment, and the clerical chairman carried it by his casting vote. But the object of the Opposition was obtained. No rate was made, and the meeting was adjourned eine die to give the church. wardens an opportunity of raising the sum required by some other means.

The Essex Magistrates have committed George Blewitt, a farm labourer, to take his trial on a charge of murdering policeman Clarke at Dagenham twelve years ago. No new evidence has been produced; and the case still rests upon the confession of Mrs. Smith, formerly the wife of one of the murderers.

A Coroner's Inquest was held on Tuesday at Gravesend on two bodies found dead in their lodgings. One was that of John Knight a hawker of artificial flowers, the other was that of Jane Moore, his mistress. It would seem that the man had first cut the throat of the woman and then his own. The former had lived long enough to give an alarm. But both were dead when assistance arrived. Evidence was given showing that Knight was liable to attacks of madness. His own brother said John had recently at- tempted to commit suicide by hanging, and was cut down by his sister. Insanity had prevailed in the family, as two of the sisters of the witness had died in a lunatic asylum, and another sister had been removed to a madhouse during the present -week. The Jury found a verdict of "Tempo- rary insanity."

Mr. Alderman Beedham, of Brighton, was on a visit to some friends at Woodford seeking health and recreation. The workmen employed by his hosts had a holiday. One body were playing cricket, when Mr. Beedham said he would show them how to bowl. He bowled one ball ; it was thrown back to him, and he was about to bowl again when he fell and died.

Mr. Arthur Bailey, of Harefield House, Bitterne, a Hampshire Magis- trate, has shot himself through the head. He had the use of one arm only; paralysis had deprived him of the other. He asked his servant for a box ; the servant gave it and retired to the window. In three minutes Mr. Bailey had shot himself. The box contained loaded pistols. The Coroner's Jury, sitting to inquire into the causes of the railway accident at Chilham, have found that the boy killed there accidentally met his death. They strongly recommended that no train should travel over the curve near Chilham station at greater speed than twenty-five miles an hour, and that the road, and especially the curve, should be carefully kept in good running repair. This was intended to meet some evidence showing that the road was not quite in the state it should be.