"THE SPECTATOR" CROSSWORD SECOND SERIES-No. 26 [A prize of a
Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked "Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes containing solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S A. cannot be accepted.] ACROSS 2. In a matter of principle I am beyond the bridge and the than is after me (1 t).
9. " The star called Capella was yellow, - and Betel- gueux shone with a fiery red " (9).
to. Hamlet said he would make one of him that let him (5).
I. " Caliban - Setebos " (4).
12. The Minister seems a man of endurance (7).
x6. Julian might eat a spot (8). 17. Showing that litter is not necessarily untidiness (6).
t9. One of the " names familiar in their mouths as house- hold words " (6).
20. The road to destruction is in the Cotswolds (8).
22. He composes Ena's tam (7).
23. It takes a great soldier to send to Foreign Office to clutch firefly (4)- 27. Renewed by the P.R.A. (5).
28. Hardly (in two words) a name for a negress! (9).
29. Unlike the moderns the Countess doesn't seem to dislike weight (11).
DOWN a. A pull-up coated round (to).
2. As the gardener said as he settled down the plants (four words) (to) 3. Riding nuts (4)- 4. How to bring people up to scratch (8). SOLUTION N 5. A mixed French one on ice (6).
6. Browning described him in Italy (to).
7. Time up-and down (4).
8. The engineer is a singular hymn-writer (4).
53. It suggests the shape of things to come by water and rail (14).
54. The resolution is not put with celerity (two words) (to).
15. Indemnification for injury- by a scythe? (to).
18. " Not here! the White
North has thy bones " (8). 21. Airmen don't care for the
best seats (6).
24. " As - as a painted ship upon a painted ocean" (4).
25. Sociable weapon (4)-
26. A definition of company in hard work (4).