"The Spectator" Crossword No. 204.
[A prize of one guinea will be given to the sender of the firm correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be minted " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post 03 Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on theform appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes containing solution, wrist bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery.]
1. Wind worn on the head ?
2. What all- violinists would like to play ?
4. American frigate defeated by the English Shannon.' 7. Makes aches appear in groups.
18. rev. Both a vegetable and a flower.
19. A sty would be antiquated if it had this.
20. It's unfortunate that hatred should be caused by tiny - me, but there it is !
21. Doing the rounds of this monotonous routine won't get you anywhere !
23. Part of everyone's duty.
24. Fill empty tankards with fermented grape-juice. 27. An English hero familiar to wrestlers !
29. My first is unchecked in 21, my second in 35.
30. Dig at time-. (Anag.).
32. Sing about something of importance.
35. Indulged in counter charges.
2. Not the same archaic ma7mier: 3. rev. American. republic.
4. On the capital of this place 'depends the human race in Asia !
b. " Those who in quarrels interpose Must often . . . a bloody nose." 6. The time of day for balancing ?
7. rev. A river in the Netherlands.
8. Clip off with 25.
10. A gem of a girl !
11. No sad duet (snag.).: 12. A heedless person possesses this kind of a brain.
13. French author to be found in II.
15. Neutralize by contrast: 16. rev. Malicious Goddess.
22. " that should . . us There's a divinity that shapes our ends."
25. See 8.
26. " Here we will . . . , and let the sounds of music Creep in our ears."
28. This is found reversed around 24.
31. rev. Small island.
33: War decoration.
34. Brings me to a breathing space.