" THE SPECTATOR " CROSSWORD No 278
[A prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes con- taining solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.] L
13 14 15
and 12. Your pet in part of the stable prevents enjoy- ment.
1o. This opening need not neces- sarily overlook the sea.
13. How to remedy quickly this scanty information.
17. rev. This is an imaginary line.
18. See 4.
19. Associated with a mixed alluvial tract.
20. rev. See 25.
21. rev. " Eat . . . s with the king, and cherries with the beggar." 22. If he had wings, away would he fly.
25. rev. with 20. The schoolboy would never think this could be sweet.
26. Of a very high order.
27. rev. "And so the poor dog had . . . "
28. See 35.
29. rev. and 33. Falconer's bunch of feathers. 3o. Vowels.
31. Exert a gage (anag.).
32. rev. Superintendent good in a crowd.
35• rev. and 28. Any letter in fount of type.
36. This ecclesiastic is not a gadabout.
DOWN 1. Required by etiquette. 2. Gewgaw.
3. My first and second are unchecked in 36. 4. rev. with 18. You can t lose by using part of this drink. 5. Cultivating has its attendant harm.
6. Insinuate into a critical position.
7. This comes of getting your goat.
8. Are after knowing.
9. Close contests that are fruit- ful.
io. Ocean-wave contained in a small keg.
it. Four-fifths of what is all about us.
12. This person follows the will of another.
14. rev. Long absences from one's country. 15. Half of you must have the body. 16. One result of blowing your horn.
24. rev. Offer for sale. 33. See 29. 34. My first is unchecked in I across, my second in 7.