'T'HE SPECTATOR " CROSSWORD No. 42
(?a prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked "Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Wednesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Wednesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published m our next issue. Envelopes containing solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.)
males get a high card (6).
12. Newton's unexpected but highly fruitful inheritance (8).
13. They like to be warmed
up before singing (7).
15. Concerning trams
18. Miss Wheeler, perhaps (8).
2o. Held fast (6).
22. These are not to be
fused with Lamb's con- Tales from Shakespeare (2 words) (to, 5).
23. It makes Alan go (6).
24. The redskin goes about morning (8). DOWN r. Some of the many who are called, (6).
2. Won't stop this thief (15).
3. Historically it sounds an ungrammatical, if simple, statement about Adam (2 words) (4, 4)- 4. Source of marine inspira- tion? (7).
ACROSS 8. What had Keats, asked Browning (8).
9. They can be made to rest (6).
to. Essentially what a globe- trotter does (15).
I1. It's threatening when s. A type of people, or peep c of types (6).
6. Place of poetic pilgrimage (3 words) (9, 2, 4).
7. He seems qualified to represent the University (2 words) (4, 4).
14. An unstated number of
aircraft one makes clear
16. Not the record of Scion
Merriman's family (2 words) (5, 3).
Black Scot of the road (6).
21. Out they go (6).