" THE SPECTATOR " CROSSWORD No. 265
[A prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes containing solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.]
ACROSS x. It's as well not to take this joker too literally.
7. What Europe seems to be colouring its words with. 12. rev. Configurations.
15. rev. Lake that begins to fall behind.
16. " . . . on; 0 (25) of State ! . . . on, 0 UNION, strong and great ! "
18. This fellow often changes his views with every act. 20. This part of a farm is not a place to smoke.
22. Collection of sayings.
23. My first is unchecked in 14, my second in 35.
24. And sign.
26. One after a Scandinavian coin.
27. rev. On this.
29. Hoodwink with 6.
30. My first is unchecked in x down, my second in 35. 32,, rev. and 36. Who profited by it ?
33. Soil. 35. Garment that bribes one's relatives.
36. See 32.
DOWN r. Not everyone would agree that this emblem meant well- being. 2. Commemorated by adoption of the name.
3. A wise man found in the kitchen.
4. Foreign coins that will get you a flower.
5. rev. "You may as well say, that's a valiant flea that dare eat his . . . on the lip of the lion."
6. See 29.
8. Source of confidence on a ship.
9 Animal to be got from an. unchecked letter in r across, 36, and 14.
so. rev. with 31. Waterfall. t. rev. Prehistoric coffin.
13. Concerning a person far beyond others in genius.
14. " Men have rounded . . Point : they have not yet doubled Cape Turk."
19. 14 is this.
21. Small particle that contains more than itself.
25. See 16.
31. rev. See so.
34. It will give you a slight indication.