22 SEPTEMBER 1855, Page 2


The Reverend Mr. Mountran, incumbent of Hemel Hempsted, has re- cently seen fit to revive the use of the offertory and the prayer for the church militant. This greatly offended his parishioners ; they appealed for redress to the Bishop of Rochester ; and that prelate has just requested Mr. Mountain to retrace his steps, and thus "restore peace among the people committed to his charge." The new Roman Catholic Bishop of Plymouth was consecrated to his office on Monday, in the church of the Holy Apostles, Clifton. Cardinal Wiseman was the consecrating prelate, assisted by Dr. Ullathorne and Dr. Brown, respectively the Roman Catholic Bishops of Birmingham and Newport. A crowd assembled, and were admitted to the spectacle at prices varying from half-a-crown to one shilling.

The anniversary of the victory of the Alma was celebrated at Liver- pool on Thursday, by displays of flags and music. An immense tea-meeting to celebrate the close of the harvest was held at Benham, Norfolk, on Tuesday, evening. At least 2500 persons at- tended ; and after tea the Earl of Albemarle, who was called to the chair, spoke with much force and feeling on the scenes of drunkenness and vice which too frequently disgrace the rural districts at the close of harvest. The English labourer, he observed, appeared to find his chief pleasure in getting drunk; and he denounced the " largess " system which led men into compulsory intemperance.

Mr. John Mesh, Receiver of Inland Revenue at Chester, is .in custody for heavy defalcations—nearly 50001. His books are correct, and show what he ought to pay to the Treasury ; but he has not the money—he has " spent it." Mr. John Sampson, a Burgeon of Berkeley, is in custody for uttering forged bank-notes. Five false notes were found upon him when he was arrested. He says he received them from one Evans, in payment of a bet ; but Evan cannot be found. A set of ruffians took advantage of a large mob having assembled at Not- tingham on account of the fall of Sebastopol, to get up a " bread-riot "—that is, they scoured through the town, broke the windows of bakers' shops, and stole loaves. A repetition on the following night was prevented by a timely gathering- of policemen and special constables.

The Huddersfield Magistrates-have- had a pretty little collection- of pri- soners brought before themr—forty-two fellows who- had been present at- a dog-fight, where five hundred of the "most degraded characters" of Lan- cashire and Yorkshire assembled to witness a contest between dogs belonging to the two counties. Most of the accused were fined.

No- further light having been thrown on the murder of the child at Clifton —the lunatic taken, at Reath appeasing to have had nothing to do with it— the Coroner's Jury have closed their proceedings by a verdict that Melinda Payne was wilfully murdered "by some-person or persons unknown."

A fatal fire has occurred in Wolverhampton. Messrs. Booth and. Co recently erected premises in the town, for the manufacture of naphtha and creosote oil ; people were indignant at the nuisance thus planted near their dwellings, and legal proceedings were about to be taken to get rid of it ; it now appears that the factory was as great a peril as it wawa nuisance. Yeeterday week, by some means unknown, aquantity of naphtha. ignited ; the flames spread ; in a little time the whole place was a roaring furnace; streams of liquid fire pouring out to ignite the-surrounding buildings. The manufactory was, of course, completely ruined ; two adjoining houses were gutted ; and other damage- was done. A man who was attending. a. furnace was unable to escape—his body was converted to a mere cinder. A mother and child perished in one of the dwelling-houses. Seven other persons were burnt, but not-fatally. It is stated that vast bodies of tame shot up into the air from the burning spirit ; at a certain altitude portions of flame separated from the mass, and, • descending like water-spouts, burnt up everything in- flammable upon which they alighted?'

There has been- a fifth victim to the collision near Reading: Mrs. Nortorr, wife of a clerk at the Reading station, died on Friday from the frightful hurts she had received,—it is wonderful that she lived so long. The inquest was resumed and concluded on Monday. From the evidence one would suppose that Crosley, the driver of the pilot-engine; had been seized with sudden madness, so reckless and purposeless was his conduct and so likely to lead to his own death. There seems no reason to believe that he had been drinking. It was clearly proved, that after he had received, orders to get his engine ready he proceeded to disobey all rules,—he did not report himself to the stationmaster ; he set out from the engine-shed and soon went at great speed ; he- had- no lamps lighted ; he proceeded. along the down-line in defiance of danger-signals; he made no effort to get upon the up- lino: thefatal sequel is known. Crosley did not even sound the whistle as he went out; he went so fait that the pointsman would not have had time to get to the points even if he had seen the approaching locomotive. The people at Reading station could only suppose that Cresley had run along the down-line with the intention of immediately returning-if not, they had no remedy. Graham, the driver of the passenger-train, stated, that when, in the dusk, he saw the engine approaching—without lamps—he concluded it was on the up-line ; when close to it he saw, by the furnace-door having beenopened, that it was on the down-line—the next instant came the crash. Mr. Thew, the stationmaster at Reading, said he considered the rules in operation there are sufficient to prevent all accidents, when obeyed—Crosley had neglected them all. The Jury gave this verdict—" Manslaughter against Joseph Crosley, in reference to the deaths of William Thomas Fyn- more, Christopher Bitten, Sarah Norton, and Francis Beart ; and that the said Joseph Crosley killed and stayed himself." They recommended that a man be kept constantly to attend- solely to the signals and points. The cost of this accident to the South-Eastern Railway Company, for shattered engines and carriages, will be several thousands of pounds.

Two men- and a woman have lost their.lives at the Dinting viaduct of the Manchester and Sheffield Railway, in copsequence of a misapprehension which has led to death in at least one other similar instanee. Another train being ahead, a second train was brought to a stand at night on the viaduct; some of the passengers thought they had arrived at Hadfield station, and three got out, stepping- on to the low parapet of the viaduct—they fell over, a depth of seventy-lie feet. Two were killed instantly, and the third died in an hour.

The quiet of Broadstairs has again been broken by a fatal disaster. A gentleman named Griffiths, Mr. Neave, and two others, left shore. for a sail in a boat belonging to Chittenden, a fisherman. A squall upset the little vessel ; and Mr. Griffiths, Mr. Neave, and. Chittenden, were drowned: the others were picked up alive.