The " Spectator " Crossword No. 9
Br XANTII I PPE .
1. Pet no heel (snag.). 9. Cardboard Dickens hero.
10. For a victim try ram. 11. To be shot in certain financial difficulties.
12. 'Tvvixt hip and hock. 13. See rig mixed about Scotland Yard.
15. Unemployment insurance is clearly incomplete in this town of Brittany. 16. A slope is on the slope. 19. Stupid part of an ambas- sador.
21. Mud in brief advertisements approves of. 22. The tank in ripe confusion is a soldier.
24. A Roman altar for the artist.
26. Dizzy in Hollywood. 29. Part of the fuselage.
31. In in happy is one of six. 32. Uncouth.
34. Child of a confused baronet.
35. Oxford college. 36. Out of sorts.
37. It's unlucky to meet such a car on a hill.
3. "There's a great text in Galatians, Once you trip on it -s twenty-nine
distinct damnations " (Browning).
4. City of Manchuria.
5. B3nk of th3o.r.
U. Grotesque effect of two letters in the zealot.
7. The editor's assistants seem to have gone to this Scottish island.
8. The weather prophet's safe bet.
9. A Labour upset for lettuce. 14. Ba this in the north.
17. One of many in Spectator. 18. I, air, cable (anag.). 19. Died in " Peer Gynt."
20. Handley Cross was one. 23. Elapse in part. 25. Father of eggs. 27. Agile. 28. Band. 29. Joshua's father beheaded on a foreign coin is not true. 30. The finish of dissenters. 33. What Taper wanted.
SOLUTION OF CROSSWORD No. 8. any SOLUTION NEXT WEEK.