" THE SPECTATOR " CROSSWORD No. 322
[A prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes con- taining solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.]
ACROSS I. Although he's a worthy fellow, you would probably cut him (two words).
I1. As a wine you'll find this O.K.
sz. What to use to plan an obituary notice in the news- paper ?
15. rev. " Death lays his hands on kings."
16. See 33.
17. rev. Tear up.
zo. This skilful act of policy may win a boat-race.
at. Set of Sanskrit aphorisms. zz. rev. The retaliation of a chemist.
24. " That's a valiant flea that dare eat his breakfast on the . . . of a lion."
25. rev. Goes the whole hog on this.
27. My first is unchecked in 36, my second in 37.
28. Poets use these often to ex- press what is over and above the head.
3o. rev. Gain the solo (anag.).
36. No, they don't make the bride wet.
37. " Truant husband should return, and say, ' My dear, I was the . . . who came away.' " DOWN 1. No doubt a good many poets should-even with no line- echoes.
2. In cocoas (anag.).
3. In the place above men- tioned (two words).
• • •
4. This sparkle is made up mostly of odds and ends.
5. Sounds almost as if it were the funny-bone !
6. No, not a farm steam-engine that depreciates.
7. They cause a great deal of reflection.
8. See 32.
9. rev. This with 34 will give you the point.
so. Barren recompense ?
53. Placard that gives you a bill ? 14. Perishable nonsense.
18. Chemical-not the result of a cremation !
19. See 23. 23. rev. with 19 and unchecked letter of I down. Criminal executed in 1829 who gave his name to the English language.
26. Risks one's money.
29. rev. Enemy who comes in the forenoon.
31. rev. William the first ?
32. with 8. Hopeless.
33. rev. and 16. Of slight shape.
34. rev. See 9.
35. My first is unchecked in 4, my second in so.