Ma. A. L. MAYCOCK, who dates his preface from Cambridge, discourses with evident enthusiasm about the sister University in An Oxford Note-Book (Blackwood, 10s. 6d.), which is illustrated from old prints. He is largely concerned with the architectural history of the older colleges, the cathedral, the Bodleian and the Camera and St. Mary's, but he digresses frequently to picture their present charm. At the close he imagines that a year or two hence the University, weary of Oxford's motor-ridden streets, will once again migrate to Stamford, as it did in 1333, leaving the colleges to be turned into tea-shops and their grounds into parking-places--a nightmare indeed, when the ribald will not even be able to describe Oxford as the "Quartier Latin of Cowley."