"THE SPECTATOR" CROSSWORD SECOND SERIES-No. _12
[A prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked "Crossword Puzzle," and should be re.ceived not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes containing solutions must bear a On ee-halfpenny stamp, otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.]
ACROSS I. (5)." Lady - Vere de Vere " 4. This wire-puller should be interested in safety first (9). 9. A beastly, but not neces- sarily disgusting, show (9). to. Ruled differently (5). ii. They are irrational (5).
12. According to Dobson, cab- bage - planters are such people (9).
13. Obstruct (7). is. Imperial initial as a coin (7).
18. Half Prevost's romance (7). 20. Singers hindered by a little Poem (7).
21. Sauce to an old weapon (9). 23. Meredith's huntress (5).
25. Volcanic spirit-lamps (5).
26. Clear out slangily before a broken right (9).
27. Simon-ness for an alterna- tive (9).
28. Mad if not all (5).
DOWN 1. This might be the mallet for knocking in the tent-pegs -it depends on the division (9) 2. Joab's victim (5).
3. A goat's run bitterly (9).
4. Menial (7).
5. Keats addressed such an urn (7).
6. Craig (5).
7. Having that hard look (9).
8. The imperial initial again, this tune on verse (5). 14. When cut as something edible (9).
16. The spider's activity takes the line of least resistance.
17. Confidentially French (9).
19. It is used to drive borne the Paint (7). 20. It sounds the right place for Little Englanders (7).
21. Immerse (5).
22. But it doesn't only assist those who ascend stairs (5).
24. "The - of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power" (5).