" THE SPECTATOR " CROSSWORD No. 270 BY ZENO [A
prize of a Book Token for one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked " Crossword Puzzle," and should be receiz:ed not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes con- taining solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp. otherwise they are surcharged on delivery. Solutions from the U.S.A. cannot be accepted.]
2 3 4 5
12 13 14
23 124 125
35 ACROSS I. A kite is very sensitive. 8. rev. Eat after this is eaten.
II. A ten-foot horse would cer- tainly be overbearing !
15. For a penny more you can get a long measure.
i6. In the beginning, am faced with an alternative article to finish with.
17. rev. From beginning to end, darkness would be a terrible place.
20. rev. This vagabond must always walk.
22. Despite its name, this English town does not lack antiquity.
24. The effect of consternation.
25. Medicinal abbreviation. 26. Ore result of a change of tide !
28. Water after dinner and dur- ing a game does and is this. 3o. Tendency brought to an end.
3:. rev. University that is hard to open.
32. Has a foot covering that is easy on the knees.
35. Where evil results gather force ?
36. " Some ... kills with arrows, some with traps."
2. rev. Half with 23.
3. Discharge that brings you on the dole !
4. rev. We won't be able to stand shoulder to shoulder if you are this tall. 5. Sibilant.
6. Rage on a slope.
7. Certainly not shiftless !
8. My first is unchecked in 24, my second in 36.
9. Part of a house where there's hope for the idle ?
to. Even with sore eyes, we wouldn't take this from a doctor !
12. A sheepish dish !
13. Latin name.
14. Contain both you and your clothes.
18. Discouraging part of a piano?
19. Girl in a rush.
23. See 2.
27. Change of pitch.
29. " If I can't . . . , why I can
owe, And death makes equal the high and low."
32. rev. with 34. Highly amus- ing.
33. Make this roll and it still is.
34. rev. See 32 down.