28 JUNE 1845, Page 5

gbe eourt.

THE stay of the Court at Osborne House, in the Isle of Wight, was signalized by some naval excursions and exhibitions. On Sunday afternoon, however, the Queen and Prince Albert attended Divine service in theparish-church tit Whip- pingham. The behaviour of the congregation was marked by quietness and de- corum.

On Saturday, her Majesty and the Prince, accompanied by the Earl of Aberdeen and the suite, embarked in the Royal yacht, at twenty-minutes past eleven o'clock, and proceeded to Spithead. The waters were covered with yachts, steamers, and shore-boats, in expectation of the excursion; and the ships were dressed out in the gayest style with flags, their yards manned, and their cannon thundering sa- lutes. The Royal party successively visited the St. Vincent, the Trafalgar, and the Albion, ships of the Bush The Earl of Hadclington and other Lords of the Admiralty, with Mr. Corry the Secretary, had arrived at Portsmouth over-night; and, embarking in the Black Eagle, they repaired to Spithead so as to meet the Queen on board the ships. Her Majesty was much gratified by the condition of the vessels; but an amusing instance of sailor-like pkin-speaking is told of Cap- tain Lockyer, of the Albion. "Her Majesty observed, inquiringly, Have you a good ship's company, Captain Lockyer?" I had a good ships company,' re- plied the gallant Captain, laying strong emphasis on the word 'had.' Had a good ships company ?' rejomed her Majesty, turning to the Earl ofHre_idington, as if for an explanation; but, as the venerable chief of the Admiralty Bard did not vouchsafe any explanation, the undaunted Lockyer concluded—' Yes, may it please your Majesty, I had a good ship's company, until it pleased their Lord- ships of the Admiralty to take away from me one hundred of my best men.'" The Queen having returned to her yacht, a signal was made for all the Captains to repair on board; and seven—the Captain of the eighth ship in port, Captain Fitzgerald, of the Vernon frigate, being too late—were presented at a kind of ex- temporary levee. After that, the Queen and her companions returned to Osborne House: the Lords of the Admiralty to town.

On Monday, the Queen, assisted by the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal, laid the foundation-stone of a new building to be erected in her grounds at Os- horne. Prince Albert and the rest of the party at the villa, with Mr. Cabitt the builder, and many attendants, were present.

On that day, there was a more striking naval display—the grandest, it is said, since the Allied Sovereigns visited Portsmouth. Its waters were thronged with visitors from all parts inland and on the neighbouring coasts, in all kinds of vessels; a great number of yachts belonging to the several clubs appearing among the rest At noon, the Victoria and Albert yacht neared the fleet at Spithead, amid salutes, manning of yards, and a storm of cheers. The Black Eagle steamer, with the authorities of the Admiralty, was in attendance. A naval review then com- menced. Admiral Sir Hyde Parker hoisted his flag in the Superb; whence signals to the rest of the fleet were made. The other vessels that took part in the pro- ceedings were the St. Vincent, Trafalgar, Queen, Albion, Vanguard, Canopus, and Rodney: the Vernon did not do so. At half-past twelve, signals were given for the fleet to make sail, the Superb remaining anchored: in an incredibly short time the ships were under a press of sail, all hoisted to their royals; and a variety of evolutions were effected in a masterly manner. That done,the Superb itself set sail, and proceeded on a cruise, past Nab's Light and St. Helen's, and back to Portsmouth: the Royal yacht followed the movements of the huge vessel, attended by an immense fleet of yachts and steamers; all of which, except the two Royal and official steamers, were outstripped by the Superb. Having returned to Spithead, Lord Aberdeen took leave, repaired on board the Black Eagle, and proceeded with his naval colleagues to town. Meanwhile, the Royal yacht passed between the lines of battle-ships, and returned to Cowes; the Queen and Prince reaching Osborne Rouse by about five o'clock.

On Wednesday, her Majesty and the Prince, with the children and the suite, left Osborne House for town: they set out at two o'clock, and, travelling from Gosport by the South-western Railway, arrived at Buckingham Palace by half- past au o clock.

The King and Queen of the Belgians landed at Woolwich on Thursday, and proceeded to Buckingham Palace; at the grand entrance of which they were re- ceived by the Queen and Prince Albert. Their Majesties were attended by Ma- dame DI1, oogrorst, Lady of Honour, and A.D'Hanins de ldoerkerke. M. Van der Weyer, the Belgian Minister, went to the Palace during the day, to pay his respects.

Yesterday, the Queen and Prints Albert, with the King and Queen of the Bel- gians, went to see the exhibition of Cartoons at Westminster Hall. Subsequently, their Belgian Majesties visited the Dutchess of Gloucester, and the Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge.