2 SEPTEMBER 1843, Page 2

be eDOUrt.

W/NDSOR is for a time deprived of its illustrious residents : but before their departure it was the scene of more than usual gayety ; for on Saturday, Prince Albert's twenty-fourth birthday was celebrated with much splendour. Ringing of bells ushered in the morn. A military band pissed for an hour under the windows of the Prince's chamber in the Augusta Tower. The Queen and Prince, accompanied by their three children, repaired to the Adelaide Lodge, where they breakfasted; the Dutchess of Kent joining them from Frogmore. In the evening, the Queen gave an entertainment at Virginia Water. Among the guests, were Sir Robert Peel, the Earl of Liverpool, Viscountess Canning, Lady Caroline Somers Cocks, Captain Francis Seymour ; who were on a visit to the Castle, and accompanied the Royal pair, between six and seven o'clock, in carriages, to the Fishing Temple. The party was also joined by the Dutchess of Kent, the Dowager Lady Lyttelton, Lady Charlotte Dundas, Sir George Coupe; Mr. George Edward Anson, Major. General and Lady Isabella Wemyss. The weather was propitious ; and a crowd of not fewer than 10,000 persons had collected about the spot, many coming from town to see what they could of the fête. The Royal party showed them- selves for a time in the balcony of the temple, and were greeted with loud cheers. A sumptuous dinner was served in the banqueting-room ; a military band stationed in a barge on the lake performing during the repast. Prince Albert sat at the Queen's right hand, the Dutchess of Kent next to him ; Sir Robert Peel sat next to the Queen on her left. After dinner there Was a brilliant display of fireworks ; the lawn w as illuminated with lamps hung on the shrubs, their light reflected in the many fountains; the three frigates in the water sailed out from the cove, lighted up with lamps, and tacked about, discharging vollies of rockets; while the battery at Belvidere and the rising grounds around the lake blazed with many-coloured devices discharged at frequent intervals. The Royal party did not return to the Castle until twenty minutes to eleven o'clock.

[In London, the day was marked by the usual rejoicings—the ringing of bells, the display of flags, with illuminations at some of the theatres, clubs, and the houses of the Royal tradesmen.] The Regent Espartero arrived at Windsor Castle on Saturday after- noon, to visit the Queen. One of her Majesty's carriages was sent to bring his Highness from the Slough station of the Great Western Rail- way. Having had an audience of the Queen, at which he was pre- sented by the Earl of Aberdeen, the Regent returned to town.

Sir Robert Peel returned to town on Sunday morning ; but did not finally leave the Castle until after his hostess had departed on her marine excursion.

The Queen and Prince Albert left Windsor Castle at twenty-five minutes before eight o'clock ; and proceeded, with a small suite, in two carriages and four, under an escort of the First Life Guards, to the Farnborough station of the South-western Railway.

On Tuesday, the Pritice of Wales, the Princess Royal, and the Princess Alice, were conveyed to the Palace at Brighton, under the care of the Dowager Lady 1.) tteltort, in a carriage and four; part of the Queen's suite following in two other carriages and four. The infant travellers were welcomed by a royal salute from the battery, the pealing of bells, and the shouts of the loyal.

Monday did not open very auspiciously for the Queen's excursion, for the weather was dull and wet. By the order of her Majesty an early special train had been prepared at the Niue Elms station of the South-western Railway, to convey the Duke of Wellington' the Earl of Aberdeen, and the Earl of Liverpool, to Southampton. The Duke arrived at the station at twenty minutes before six ; the Earls a few minutes after ; but the train was delayed more than an hour in waiting for some of the servants whom it was to convey. The Duke filled up the interval in examining the carriages, engines, workshops, and other notabilia of a railway station. The tardy servants having come, at seven o'clock the train set off.

The Queen's party arrived at the Farnborough station at a quarter past eight, and entered the carriages of a special train. The Royal tourists were accompanied by the Honourable Miss Liddell and Vis- countess Canning, who have the reputation of being excellent "sailors," and by Lord Charles Wellesley, Mr. George Anson, and Colonel An- son. The train consisted of four carriages, besides one containing luggage. In the centre was the Royal carriage, lined with silk, and tastefully ornamented. The several stations were decorated with flags and evergreens ; and at all of them, numbers of spectators were assem- bled, to catch a rapid glance of the Sovereign and her consort, and cheer them as they passed. The drizzling rain did not deter thousands from collecting at the Southampton terminus. Fusiliers and Hussars had been brought from Winchester and Portsmouth to perform the requisite ceremonial of honour, a band of Marines from Portsmouth, and Artillerymen from Marchwood ; so that there was all the desir- able harmony and cannonading to augment the noise created by bells and cheers. Several railway authorities were at hand to receive the Queen; who was handed to her carriage by the Duke of Welling- ton, stationed at the terminus with his two fellow Ministers. When the cortege arrived at the bar that crosses High Street, it was met by the Mayor, who delivered addresses to the Queen and Prince, and with the corporation and clergy of the place escorted the carriagbs in procession to the pier. Here the municipal authorities had an oppor- tunity of displaying their loyal gallantry- " From some cause, the Royal yacht, Victoria and Albert, had not been brought close to the pier by the time the Royal party arrived, and it became necessary for her Majesty to go into the barge, to be pulled two or three boats- length to get to the yacht; and the scarlet baize spread over the stage, in- tended to be run on to the yacht when alongside, was taken off to cover the pier-steps. That, however, left the stage so wet and dirty, especially as it was raining at the time, that the Earl of Haddington exclaimed, We must get some covering for the stage r—which was being used bet gi the Queen's carriage and the steps. Nothing could be obtained ; and heiontapsty waiting

to alight, the members of the Corporation, like so many Ralk stripped off their robes of office in a moment, from which those of the yWr and Alder-

men were selected, (they being scarlet,) and the pathway was covered for the Sovereign's use; so that Queen Victoria, like Queen Elizabeth, walked com- fortably and dry-footed to her barge. Her Majesty appeared much gratified by this spontaneous act of attention, and was pleased to step so as to avoid the velvet collars of the robes of office. The Queen having embarked, the Corpora- tion went on board the Ariadne steam-ship; from which the Mayor was soon summoned to an interview with Admiral Sir Charles Rowley, who had been especially sent by the Queen to express to the Mayor, and through him to the Council, &c., her great satisfaction with her reception, and with all the arrangements; and this was conveyed by Sir Charles in the most marked manner."

In its progress down the Southampton water, the Royal yacht WAS accompanied by the Lightning, Fearless, Cyclops, and Prometheus, Government steamers ; Lord Orkney's yacht, and a host of private vessels ; and occasionally the speed of the chief vessel was slackened, to enable the others to keep up with it. The Royal yacht was saluted in its passage by several war-ships and batteries ; and, after passing the Motherbank, and Spithead, where it rounded the St. Vincent, it landed its illustrious passengers at Hyde, in the Isle of Wight; the crews of the war-steamers manning the yards. Although there was some swell on the water, it was observed that her Majesty betrayed no concern on entering the Admiral's barge. The shipping off Hyde, and the coast in the neighbourhood of the pier, were thronged with spectators, vo- ciferating a welcome. The Royal party walked along the pier to the town, and entering a carriage, proceeded to the residence of Lady Harcourt. After remaining with their hostess for a short time, the Royal party returned to dinner on board the yacht, where her Majesty and the Prince passed the night.

On Tuesday, the Queen and the Prince visited Lord Yarborough, on board his yacht, and then landed at West Cowes; whence a carriage of Earl Delawarr's conveyed them to Norris Castle, once the residence of the Queen when Princess Victoria. Reembarking, the voyagers, still attended by the Government steamers and a numerous fleet of yachts, proceeded towards St. Helen's ; which they passed so rapidly that the garrison could not get ready their guns to fire a salute. After five o'clock, the Victoria and Albert, much a-head of the attendant fleet, landed off Weymouth. The Mayor went on board, and learned that it was not the Queen's pleasure to land. The yacht remained that night in the Portland Roads, and sailed at six o'clock next morning.

At five o'clock it hove in sight off the Mew-stone, and soon after passed the Eastern end of Plymouth Breakwater into the Sound ; an- choring in Barn Pool. The Earl of Hadding-tou and other Lords of the Admiralty, who had arrived overland, went on board, to make ar- rangements for the morrow. Plymouth and Devonport were, on Thursday, all hustle and delight ; the air resounding with repeated salutes, marking the movements of the illustrious visiters. At an early hour the Queen landed at Mount Edgecumbe, and walked for some time in the groves of that beautiful place. Meanwhile, Prince Albert, attended by the Lords of the Admi- ralty and the Naval authories of the station, went in a barge to visit the Dockyard and Victualling-office. On his return, the Queen held a levee on board the Victoria and Albert ; which was attended by the Earl of Aberdeen, the Earl of Liverpool, and the other Ministers at Plymouth, by Admiral Sir Samuel Pym, Superintendent of the Dock- yard, and other officers of the station, the officers of the shipping in the Sound, with the Captain of the Neapolitan frigate Regina, and by

the municipal authorities of Plymouth and Devon port. Addresses from both Corporations were presented to the Queen and Prince, through Lord Aberdeen. One address to Prince Albert accompanied a box of marble of the Breakwater, containing the patent of the appointment which he had accepted as Lord High Steward of Plymouth, in the room of the Duke of Sussex. At three o'clock the Queen landed at the Dockyard, and proceeded in an open carriage and four through the principal streets of Devonport, Stonehouse, and Plymouth ; reUmbark- ing at Devonport. The carriage was guarded by a numerous escort of troops, and by the Corporations of the two towns ; the streets being crowded. After reposing for a short time in the yacht, the party went to view the Breakwater. At night the whole place was illuminated ; the column on Mount Wise, turned to a pillar of fire, and a large bonfire on the Hoe, being conspicuous objects ; and at nine o'clock all the war-ships in the Sound manned their yards, each man holding a blue- light in his hand. The yacht still remained at Plymouth on Thurs- day night ; Falmouth being the next place to visit, and then France. A gentleman on board the Victoria and Albert says that the Queen has been quite free from sea-sickness ; but Prince Albert had a touch of it during a breeze on Tuesday-

" It is moat gratifying to observe the great urbanity and kindness mani- fested by the Queen and her illustrious consort to every one of the crew with which the Royal yacht is so efficiently manned. Her Majesty and the Prince, in pacing the decks arm-in-arm, enter into conversation with the sailors on the subject of naval tactics, making various inquiries connected with various mat- ters concerning the discipline of the vessel. We have some most powerful telescopes on board, which are the source of great amusement to the Queen and his Royal Highness. Her Majesty's health is exceedingly good. The Queen and the Prince rise early, breakfast between eight and nine o'clock, partake of luncheon about two two o'clock, and dine about the usual hour. The Sovereign generally retires to rest between ten and eleven o'clock."

The King of Hanover had select dinner-parties at Kew on Friday and Sunday night ; the Dutchess of Gloucester continuing to be his Majesty's guest. On Saturday afternoon, he received a visit from the Princess Sophia. On Monday, his Majesty and the Dutchess came to their respective residences in town. Having been visited by Prince Lieven, and the Baron de Neialley, on Tuesday, his Majesty returned to Kew. He was rejoined in the evening by the Dutchess of Glouces- ter ; whom a select party was invited to meet on Tuesday, and again on Wednesday.

The Dutchess of Kent left Frogmore Lodge on Tuesday ; and, travel- ling from Watford by the Birmingham Railway, went to Whitley Court, on a visit to the Queen Dowager.

Prince George, attended by Captain Maedonnell, left his residence in St. James's Palace on Sunday morning, and went to St. Katherine's Docks, where his Royal Highness embarked for the Continent ; intend- ing to proceed to Rompenheim, to join the Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge. The Prince arrived at Antwerp on Monday, after a fa- vourable passage.