"The Spectator" Crossword No. 171
[A prize of one guinea will be given to the sender of the first correct solution of this week's crossword puzzle to be opened. Envelopes should be marked "Crossword Puzzle," and should be received not later than first post on Tuesday. No envelopes will be opened before noon on Tuesday. Solutions should be on the form appearing below. The name of the winner will be published in our next issue. Envelopes containing solutions must bear a three-halfpenny stamp, othelwise they are surcharged on delivery.]
ACROSS 1. These persons toe the line ! 8. Musical part of a chicken ?
13. "With this same .. Shakespeare unlocked his heart.
15. A man-eating monster.
16. Humorous deception.
18 20. Done in the evening.
21. In 9.
22. rev. This bird has a wet beginning.
25. In 10.
26. Becomes commonplace with- out its one part.
29. Spread out to dry.
30. rev. A finish to two counties.
31. "A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of . .
32. Showing equal magnetic inclination.
35. Smaller or ?
36. rev. "I am the youngest of that name, for . . . of a worse."
DOWN 2. Primitive gentleman ?
3. Sure reins (anag.).
4. rev. Main current of affairs, with 24.
5. See 27.
6. In 8 across. 7. Contraction of the heart.
8. A peaceful joint !
9. It is the end of snarled fibre.
10. Bizet wrote him a song.
11. Unchecked in 30 + 10.
12. "a new planet swims into his . . . "
14. rev. These books are based on fact-if you stretch a
16. Skpinoindist ease.
17. A double-headed discourse. 19. rev. "Let. . man praise
thee, and not thine owne
23. It is all to be divided by 25. 24. See 4.
28. Often valued more than a king.
33. rev. 5.