General Knowledge Questions
Oust weekly prize of one guinea for the best thirteen Questions submitted is awarded this week to M. J. C. Meiklejohn, 136 Coombe Lane, S.W. 20, for the following :— -
Questions on Popular Misquotations, Misunder- standings, &c.
1. Complete the quotation, "I'll make assurance. . . sure."
2. What is wrong with the quotation, "We'll tak a richt gads willie-waught " ?
3. From whom did Campbell steal his line, "Like angel-visits, few and far between" ?
4. Where does the idea, pour encourager lee mares, Erst occur ? 6. What misinterpretation and therefore fallacy is involved by saying, " The exception proves the rule" Y.
6. What is the original of "God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb " ?
7. What poem did Wolfe recite while being rowed to the attaok on the Heights of Abraham?
8. Which is the originally right spelling—rime or rhyme ?
9. What is and is not the derivation of beef-eater ?
10. Correct the quotation, "the sere and.yellow leaf."
11. "Water, Water everywhere, and not a drop to drink." Is this right 12. Criticize the alleged proverb, " Mony a meikle make a muckle."
13. What is the origin of the phrase pouring oil on troubled waters " ?
Answers Will be found of pa,ge 36: