5 JUNE 1830, Page 7

EXTENSIVE BURGLARY.—On Sunday night, the mansion of Lord Maryborough, in

Saville Street, was broken into, and property carried off to the value of 2000/.

DUEL.—This schoolboy practice is getting more and more useless every day ; gentlemen must have recourse to other means of settling

their disputes, since powder and ball won't. What if they tried the powder without the ball ? "On Friday morning," says the ilfaidstonc Gazette, "a meeting took place on Chatham Lines, between Lieut. Murray, of the 16th Regiment, and Mr. Dews, of the 89th Regiment. The parties fired thrice, and, we understand, retired from the ground -without the affair being settled."

FATAL EFFECTS OF PRIZE-FIGHTING.—We have to record another instance of the fatal effects of the abominable system of prize-fighting, which, to the eternal disgrace of the Legislature has so long been permitted. A great fight took place on Wednesday last, near the village of Hanslope, in Buckinghamshire, for 2001. aside, between Simon Byrne, -an Irishman, and Alexander Mackay, a Scotchman, which lasted nearly an hour. The latter, who lost the fight, was most cruelly beaten. He received many heavy blows about the left temple, and his face was so frightfully cut and disfigured, that the features were lost in a confused anass of gore and bruises. Be was bled hi the ring, but was totally insensible. Two surgeons and his seconds, for half an hour in vain atc tempted to restore animation; the poor creature was at length, borne from the ground in a state of insensibility. A few of the wretches, constituting what is termed the "fancy," remained in the neighbourhood smtil a late hour at night ; and they reported, on their arrival in town, that Mackay was speechless at the time they left him. Since then intelligence has been received in London that Mackay expired in the arms of Carter the pugilist, at ten o'clock on Thursday night. Mackay was backed by Captain Barclay, the Newmarket pedestrian, and John Harrison, Esq., of Buckinghamshire, and seconded by Tom Cribb and .George Cooper. The seconds of Byrne were Tom Reynolds and Reuben Martin. Several noblemen and gentlemen were on the ground during the fight. Mr. Osbaldeston officiated as umpire; and Mr. Jackson, the retired pugilist, superintended the arrangements of the sport. The prize-fighters, as may be expected, are in a terrible state of alarm. The Survivor and the four seconds have absconded.—Times.