19 DECEMBER 1840, Page 4

The Victoria tavern, at Waterloo quay, Aberdeen, was destroyed by

fire on Friday night last. Mr. Howay, the landlord, his wife, and two daughters, and a male lodger, were found burned to death in the ruins. The origin of the fire is unknown.

A ferocious murder was committed at Bishop's Bridge, near Glasgow: about seven o'clock on Friday morning. The victim was Mr. John

Green, a ganger or superintendent of labourers on the Edinburgh aud Glasgow Railway. All the labourers on the portion of the line in question are Irish, with the exception of two Englishmen ; one of

whom, with Mr. Francis Rooney, another superintendent, Witnessed

the murder. The account they give is, that previously to Green's coming up, a large party of Irishmen were assembled on a temporary wooden

bridge over the railroad or its vicinity but before his arrival the most

of them departed in the direction of the smithy, as if about to com- mence work, leaving two or three behind. Green crossed the bridge, making a remark upon time weather as he passed; when one of the labourers fidlowed bun, and with a punch or iron bar struck him a cruel blow on the head, which forced off his hat and brought him to

the ground. Another labourer came up, and jumped upon the body; while the first continued to inflict repeated blows on the head and face of the unfortunate man with the iron instrument. The bloody

work was soon done, and the two murderers ran off in the direction

of' Auchinearn. Green was only heard to exclaim, " Oh, God ! are yoa going to murder me ?" He was picked up quite insensible, and died

within an hour afterwards. The Englishman who had witnessed the

commencement of the assault ran off, being afraid that the onslaught was to be general. Mr. Rooney, however, saw the end of it from below

the bridge, but was restrained from going forward. Green had only come to the superintendency two days before ; but a report was spread that he was strict and harsh in the former ivories which he overlooked,

and the determination to rid themselves of one svhom they might con- sider a sharp taskmaster, is the only reason which can be given for the outrage. Green had been attacked by a shower of stones on the previous evening. He was an active man, thirty years of age ; and has left a widow and small family in England. 011 Friday forenoon,

Mr. Sheriff Bell, accompanied by a company of the Fifty-eighth Foot and a party of Police-officers, were conveyed in a coach and three om- nibuses to Cross 11111, for the purpose of apprehending the murderers

by taking the labourers by surprise. On nearing the place, the work- men were engaged under the level of the road, and were not apprized of the force until they were surrounded. No resistance was offered ; and on the names being called, each labourer came forward and allowed • himself to be secured. About twenty-one were taken in this manner,

and three were subsequently discovered and secured in an adjoining while M. Coquereau and the other clergymen chanted prayers, the wood. They were all safely conveyed to Glasgow Bridewell. seamen again took up their precious load and carried it to the tri-