27 MAY 1882, Page 1

The Consuls-General of France and England, finding that Arabi was

unmoved by the arrival of the ironclads, on Thursday afternoon delivered to the Khedive an ultimatum from the two Powers. They repudiate any idea either of vengeance or re- prisal, but they insist that Arabi Pasha shall be temporarily dismissed, that two other Pashas shall be " interned," and that the whole of the present Ministry shall resign. They do not suggest any alternative names, and they affirm that their object is conciliation, the " prevention of the irreparable misfortune which menaces Europe" — a curiously strong phrase, if it refers, as we presume, to the safety of the Canal—and the restitution of the Khedive's authority, " without which the status quo is necessarily* menaced." They mention, however, that the terms handed in will be "ex- acted," and have, it is believed, privately stated that if they are refused, Turkish troops will land. Up to the afternoon of Friday Cairo believed that the ultimatum would be rejected, the Egyptians thinking that if France and England can dismiss first a Khedive and then a Ministry, their independence is already gone. The final decision will, however, depend upon the Sultan, and very sharp pressure may be applied at Con- stantinople, before the final answer is received from the Cairene Ministers.